Lost Driving Licence - How To Replace A Driving Licence

If you are unfortunate enough to lose your driving permit there are certain steps that you will have to go through in order to get a replacement document. It is very important to replace a lost driving licence as quickly as you can. The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) has several ways that you can use to replace a lost document. You can replace it online, over the telephone or just through the post.

Replacing a Lost Driving Licence Online

Applying online is the newest and most efficient method for replacing a mislaid document. In order to apply online you will have to set up a Government Gateway User ID. The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency will try to get your replacement permit to you within ten business days wherever possible. In order to apply online you will:

Need to be a resident of Great Britain.

Need to meet the minimum eyesight requirements.

Not be prevented from driving for any reason.

Need to pay 17.50GBP by a major credit card.

Have to have a valid UK passport or another form of identity if replacing a paper licence.

Need to give the addresses of where you lived in the last three years.

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency will carry out identity checks on you before sending your new document out to you.

Applying by Telephone

You can apply by telephone for a replacement document as long as none of the details on your permit have changed. It will cost you 17.50GBP and you will need a debit or credit card. If you have a paper licence holder or if you need a new photo, you will not be able to apply by phone. You can call and contact the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency between Monday and Friday between the hours of 8:00am and 8:30 pm or you can ring them on Saturday between 8:00 am and 5:30 pm.

Applying by Post

The fee for applying by post for a lost driving licence is 17.50GBP. The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency will attempt to get your new permit to you within three weeks of receiving your application. To apply by post you will have to complete the D1 pack form. You can get this pack form from many post office branches or from the DVLA form ordering service. The address for sending your application and fee is: DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AB.

Can You Drive Before You New Licence Arrives?

You will be able to drive before you actually receive your new document as long as you comply with the following few requirements:

You have not been refused a licence for medical reasons.